More actions?

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM
So.... how hard would it be to add to the list of actions? Or, have a way to map a gesture to an existing keyboard shortcut? I like the addin, but the list of actions is useless to me.
Cheers!
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2008 at 5:11 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2008 at 5:12 PM

CleverCoder wrote:
So.... how hard would it be to add to the list of actions? Or, have a way to map a gesture to an existing keyboard shortcut? I like the addin, but the list of actions is useless to me.
Cheers!

Hi,
it isn't problem to add more actions. Do you have someting particlar on your mind?

Mapping gesture to an existing keybord shortcut - it's interesting idea, thanks. I will definitely try to implement it.
Feb 20, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! If I wasn't so bogged down with so much other work, I might crack open the source. :) But, in my case, I have ReSharper installed which has a LOT of keyboard shortcuts. Also, there is a plethora of other commands available under the Keyboard shortcuts settings in the options menu. Mapping a gesture to a keyboard shortcut seems to be a neat quick way to get the job done. It would be real neat to use the same API that the options dialog uses to list various "commands". The most useful gestures for me might be some of the shortcuts I use all the time:
- Build selection (not entire solution... this is much faster when there are a lot of projects)
- Find usages (ReSharper Shift-Alt-F12)
- Refactor 'this' (ReSharper Alt-`), or rename (Control-Shift-R)
- Toggle breakpoint
- Run to line
- Set active statement
- Toggle disassembly
- Find in files

Thats just a few. Cheers!
-Sean
Apr 24, 2008 at 8:31 AM
It would much easier and flexible to execute custom command like "File.AddExistingProject" "Window.AutoHide" - all commands that Command Windows supports.
It will cover ALL commands of Visual Studio and I believe that all these commands can be get from metadata.
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2008 at 5:46 PM

FallenGameR wrote:
It would much easier and flexible to execute custom command like "File.AddExistingProject" "Window.AutoHide" - all commands that Command Windows supports.
It will cover ALL commands of Visual Studio and I believe that all these commands can be get from metadata.

Yeah, you are right - I am testing new version of the add-in, which allows you to bind any command to a mouse gesture.
Apr 30, 2008 at 3:36 AM
That sounds promising. But what about other addins like Resharper? I spend a lot of time twiddling around with the keyboard shortcuts, as that tool really relies on their use for true productivity. Nice to hear of the progress!

Rock!
-Sean
Sep 20, 2008 at 12:34 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2008 at 12:35 AM
I just found this project, and am excited by the promise it has.  I'm also interested in seeing support for more actions.  You mentioned starting to add support for this.  Is this coming along?  I'd look at doing so myself, but wanted to make sure that there wasn't something nearly done already.
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2008 at 7:02 AM
I uploaded the latest source code, where you can bind any action from Visual Studio environment to mouse gesture - even your own macro. Because it is still untested and it might be buggy I don't make it another release. I don't have any time right now to work on this project so if you are interested you can join in.
Feb 2, 2009 at 11:41 PM
After adding support for arbitrary gestures at http://www.codeplex.com/mousegestures/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=2000, I finally got back to making the necessary changes to the add in.  I uploaded a patch to the issue at http://www.codeplex.com/mousegesturesvs/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=1492.  This should make it possible to assign any gesture to any command (with some caveats).